A telematics system includes a vehicle tracking device installed in a vehicle that telemetry data including location, speed, idling time, harsh acceleration or braking, fuel consumption, vehicle faults, and more. Usage-Based Insurance (UBI) is a type of auto insurance that uses telemetry data to track mileage and driving behaviors. UBI is often powered by in-vehicle telecommunication devices (telematics)-technology that is available in a vehicle that is self-installed using a plug in-device or already integrated in original equipment installed by car manufactures. Fortune 100 Insurance Company is interested in research assessing whether UBI has a negative or positive impact on people of color. The study would include comparing UBI insurance rating to traditional insurance rating factors such as traffic violations, and home location.
- Telematics is an interdisciplinary field that encompasses telecommunications, vehicular technologies, for instance, road transport, road safety, electrical engineering, and computer science. UBI is an insurance based application of telematics.
- Interest in risk management or actuarial science
- Interest in economics
- Interest in law and social justice
- Written communication skills
- Ability to think systemically
- Skills in graphic design, visual analytics, system thinking would be valuable
Fortune 100 Insurance Company
Final deliverable format:
White paper and presentation